After a couple week’s effort, I’ve finally finished the first draft of my upcoming story, tentatively titled Uniform Daze. Care to take a stab as to what it’s going to feature?
Now begins the process of editing, and I’m hoping I can knuckle down and get it done in a couple days, in time to be released over the weekend. I’ve discovered that I want to adhere to some stricter stylistic rules, so it may be slow going, but I’m hoping that the effort will pay off in the long term by leaving my stuff more readable, and looking a little less amateurish. I think too much reading of un-edited work has left my ability to detect proper style a little off.
I’m up to four items released onto Amazon, which is good, although my resolution to do more editing is likely to extend to the rest of what I’m re-publishing, so pace there might slow. It means I may take a little while longer to get back up to speed, but again I think it’ll be worth it. I’m also going to give the four that are up a full re-edit, something I hadn’t planned to do, but I think that it would be best if all of my stories have a consistent formatting. I won’t be changing any content, but I will probably redo my dialogue and punctuation a bit.
The plus side of re-editing older content is that I’ll be re-familiarized with it in case I get any inspiration to continue the stories. Which I’m planning to do.
Overall, I’m thinking about the effort in terms of being a long term investment, and I think that people would rather read consistent, well formatted stories. Since I’m going to start writing longer works, the plots contained within will also be elaborating. I already considered plot development to be my strong suit, and I’d hate for poor mechanics to get in the way of things.
Regardless, I think that Uniform Daze can be ready to drop into the Amazon hopper hopefully sometime Saturday, although Sunday may end up being more likely. It clocks in at 50,000 words, which puts it just into true Novel territory, which I’m very proud of. I’m hoping that I can maintain a pace of one novel of this length a month. Given that January is just now only half over, that’s a reasonable estimation of my pace.
I’ve already decided that I’m going to take another stab at writing the sequel to Proteus. It’s been too long, and I have some really good ideas for how to make it work. For whatever reason, during my first tenure as a writer, I had a hard time making that story work, but new ideas and some time away may have been just what I needed.
We’ll see how it goes. Overall, I just wanted to keep the blog active, as part of showing that my return to active status is a bit more genuine than last time. Last time, I wrote two short segments of Interface (which is on hold but not dead) clocking in at about ten thousand words total. This time, I’m much, much further along, and my motivation is high and I anticipate continuing forward after the next release.
That’s all for my rambles for tonight. Thank you all, as always, for your loyalty and patience as I attempt to find my stride.